Welcome to the Mopra Telescope
Mopra is situated at a latitude and longitude of -31:16:04, 149:05:59 and an elevation of 866 m. The telescope is primarily used for 3-mm spectroscopy and VLBI experiments. The Mopra Control Desk is located in the control building at the Paul Wild Observatory. Observers must carry out their own observing. Remote observing with the Mopra Telescope is possible from anywhere in the world.
From October 2012, Mopra is being operated under a new model, with the provision of funding from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, the University of NSW, and the University of Adelaide allowing for the the continued operation of the telescope, with these groups being provided with guaranteed observing time in return. A description of the new operating model is available.
A severe bushfire on Sunday January 13, 2013 has burned a large region near Coonbarabran including the Mopra and Siding Spring Observatories. Updates on the situation at Mopra -- both bushfire updates and an update on research impacts -- are available from the main ATNF webpage under the "News" heading.
Mopra Observing Guides
- Information for Observers All the information you need to prepare your proposal and your observing run
- Mopra Current Issues Check here before starting your observing run
- Mopra Online CAlendar Check here before asking for greentime
- Mopra Remote Observing Find out how to set up remote observing sessions
- NEW 15 MAY 2013 Mopra Quick Reference Handbook (QRH) Also check the "Current Issues" page please.
- Telescope Control System User Interface (TCS UI) Manual
ATNF Observing Information
- ATNF Observing Schedules
- Applying for time on ATNF Telescopes
- ATNF Accommodation Booking Form
- Australia Telescope Online Archive
- Observability charts plotter
- Beam position mapper to verify your maps. DO NOT USE UNLESS YOU ARE THE OBSERVER IN CHARGE!
- mops_vis: The tools for finding your central frequency and zoom window numbers. (requires wish, runs on linux/cygwin/osx)
- Sensitivity calculator (2005 versions)
- Sensitivity calculator 2013 version (now includes MOPS Broadband 1k channel mode)
- Schedule File Tool: Position Switching v5.0
- On-The-Fly Mapping v6.0 Schedule File Tool, supports fast mapping and graphical zoom window selection. If you have trouble with the new Schedule File Tool, here's the old one: On-The-Fly Mapping v5.3
- Velocity to frequency calculator
- Catalogue & Monitoring of SiO masers
- Coordinate Calculator COORD
- Submit a Fault Report
- Submit Observer Questionnaire
Data Reduction & Calibration
- Map making tutorial. An brief tutorial outlining how to reduce Mopra mapping data using livedata, gridzilla, kvis, miriad and to clean it up and present it pretty with IDL.
- ASAP - ATNF Spectral Analysis Package An ASAP-GUI interface has been developed by Cormac Purcell and is available for download
- Livedata/Gridzilla - On-the-fly Mapping Analysis Package
- Calibration Page
Mopra Monitoring Information
- Augmented reality view in TOAD explained
- TOAD (ATNF external access) Bookmark the new URL!
- TOAD (ATNF internal access) Bookmark the new URL!
- Mopra Webcam
- Mopra SkyCam
- (External) IR Satellite Loop
- Select monitor points
- Miscellaneous(Also see information on MoniCA)
- Impending CLOUDSAT passes. Avoid pointing near zenith with 3mm on axis during CLOUDSAT passes!
Local Mopra Observatory Information
Modified: Phil Edwards (13 Feb 2013)