ATNF Narrabri Visitor Network - Printing
These notes have been adapted from the instructions provided in ATNF Visitor Network - Printing from your laptop. They have been slightly modified to provide ATNF Narrabri specific details.
Before proceeding to add a printer in the usual manner, you need to ensure that Microsoft Print Services for UNIX has been enabled.
How to Enable Microsoft Print Services for UNIX
- Go to the Control Panel (either via My Computer or Start/Control Panel)
- In the Control Panel double click on Add/Remove Programs
- On the left panel select Add/Remove Windows Components
- Scroll down in the Components window and ensure that the following service is ticked: Other Network File and Print Services
- Click on Details (or double click Other Network File and Print Services) and ensure that Print Services for Unix is enabled
- Click OK and then NEXT
- You may be asked to insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM. If this is the case, contact the local system adminstrator to assist if you don't have your own copy of the CD-ROM.
- Click Finish
Configure your computer for lpr printing
- Once the Microsoft Print Service for UNIX has been enabled on your PC, the next step is to configure lpr printing.
- From the Start Menu go to Settings/Printers
- Double Click the Add Printer icon
- Select Local printer attached to this computer ensure that Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer is NOT selected
- Click the Next button
- Select Create a new port. From the drop down menu select LPR Port
- Click the Next button to continue
- The following steps assume that you wish to connect to the Sharp MX4111N colour printer in the observer's area. The printer is a post script duplex printer that should cover the needs of most observers.
- Enter the name of the print server and printer.
- Name or address of server providing lpd: printhost-nar.atnf.CSIRO.AU
- Name of printer or print queue on that server: cacolour
Note By default, Windows XP/2000 doesn't
provide the printer drivers for a Sharp MX4111N (the printer located in
the observer's area).
- Information on the MX4111N on the Sharp Australia Support website. Click here to go to the MX4111N page.
- Download the Postscript driver from the Sharp Australia Support website. Windows XP PCL6/PS driver zip file.
- Save the file to a known location and extract according to the instructions. Make a note of the destination directory where the files are extracted to.
- In the Add Printer Wizard window, click on Have Disk
- Navigate to the driver directory as noted above and select the post script driver. Click Next
- Enter a printer name: cacolour
- Click Next to continue
- Ensure that the option Do not share this printer is selected click Next to continue
- Click Finish to complete setting up the printer
|© Copyright CSIRO Australia, 1994-2009.
Legal Notice and Disclaimer, Privacy Statement.
Original: John Giovannis (20th Jan 2004), modified: Brett Lennon ( August 04, 2016)