Connecting a notebook using DHCP
DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) allows one to automatically connect to the network. A DHCP server resides on the network which automatically assigns IP addresses to client workstations logging onto a TCP/IP network.
Instructions have been provided for various operating systems.
- Go to Start / Control Panel or Start / Settings / Control Panel
- Locate the icon corresponding to the Network connection
- Double click on the icon and locate Local Area Connection
- Right click on the icon and go to Properties
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and go to Properties
- Ensure that the following option (under the General Tab) is selected
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Reboot the system
- for more info see http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-DHCP-Network-Settings-on-Windows-XP
- Windows Vista - http://sonic.net/support/ss/windows/vista/lan/settings.shtml
Apple Mac OS X
- From the Apple Menu choose System Preferences, then Network.
- Select Built-in Ethernet and then Configure.
- Select the TCP/IP tab.
- Set the Configure IPv4: selection to Using DHCP.
- All other fields should be blank.
- Click Apply Now to save the changes to your current configuration.
- for more info see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106715
Gnome Desktop on Linux Computer
- From a Gnome desktop goto System / Administration / Network you may need the superuser password
- A window with the title Network Configuration appears
- Select the Devices tab
- Select eth0 (or the equivalent ethernet device name) and double click
- Under General make sure the automatically obtain IP address settings with radio button is selected
- Change the option to dhcp click OK and close the Network Configuration window
- Select Yes to do you want to save your changes
- Either restart network ( /etc/init.d/network restart or /etc/init.d/networking restart as root or using sudo) or reboot the system
- This can also be easlily performed from the CLI
- for more info see http:/tldp.org/HOWTO/DHCP/index.html
- or see http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch03_:_Linux_Networking
|© Copyright CSIRO Australia, 1994-2009.
Legal Notice and Disclaimer, Privacy Statement.