Remote Observing with ATNF Telescopes
Astronomers who are successful in being granted time on ATNF telescopes are expected to operate the telescopes for themselves. In most cases, observers are present at Narrabri (for ATCA and Mopra) or Parkes for their observations. However, some observers who have demonstrated their competency may receive permission to observe with the Compact Array or Mopra Telescope from remote locations. Remote observing is currently not available for Parkes observations.
Remote Observing Conditions
Users should note that the following conditions apply for remote observations:
- At all times, remote observing is at the discretion of the Head of Science Operations (Phil Edwards).
- Less observing support is available for remote observations, so this observing mode is restricted to experienced observers. Remote observers should be competent to create schedules, initialise and execute their observations without support: They should be capable of recognising problems and knowing how to handle them should they arise.
- Remote observing will only be granted to astronomers who have observed, in person, at Narrabri for the Compact Array or at Narrabri or Marsfield for Mopra within the previous 12 months.
- An X terminal or workstation must be available for the observing. Observers must demonstrate before the remote observation is approved that the workstation and link has sufficient power, responsiveness and connectivity to adequately run the observing software. Observers must be able to initiate or receive phone calls to/from Narrabri from their observing room.
- Requests for remote observing in a given term should be submitted as soon as possible after the schedule for the term is made available. Use this form.
- Any network failures result in lost time. It is not the responsibility of the Duty Astronomer (or any other person) to take over observations. This is one of the (low-level) risks of remote observations.
Remote Observing Schedules
A schedule for forthcoming remote observations is available here.
How to apply for and take remote observations
Information on how set up and operate the array remotely is given in the ATCA Guide to Remote Observing and Mopra Guide to Remote Observing. These documents should be read well in advance of the observations.
Original: Jessica Chapman
Modified: Robin Wark (28-Feb-2012)