ATCA Observing Information
Recent News - Also see the Current Issues page
8 November 2018
- A link was added to the observatory guides section about the ATCA Legacy Projects.
8 October 2018
- VNC passwords were changed for the new semester. Request the new password.
10 September 2018
- Released version 2 of the ATCA 2018OCT semester, to add a project which had inadvertently been left out of version 1.
27 March 2018
- The Portal has been updated to version 1, with a major redesign. The old Portal should no longer be used. You can find the new Portal here.
- See what the sky looks like with the All-Sky camera.
- Check weather conditions with the ATCA weather station.
- Use the weather radar to see oncoming storm fronts.
- Look out for storms with the lightning tracker.
- Check the weather forecasts and other imagery with our weather links page.
- See what an artificial neural network thinks the atmospheric seeing will be like.
Preparing a schedule
- Use the CABB Scheduler to prepare your schedule and save it to the online observing machines.
- If you can't use that, use the offline CABB Scheduler, which can only save schedules to your local machine.
- Use the mosaic uploader page to upload any mosaics you have to the online observing machines.
- Read the Users Guide appendix about the scheduler.
- Get some more information on the scheduler.
- Use the velocity to frequency calculator, and get a list of spectral line rest frequencies.
- Check the observability of your targets with the Interactive Observability Chart Plotter and COORD.
Preparing a proposal
- Calculate the amount of time you will need with the CABB Sensitivity Calculator.
- Simulate your observating configuration with the Friendly Virtual Radio Interferometer, developed by Cormac Purcell and Roy Truelove.
- Convert your target's coordinates with COCO (HEASARC version of the coordinate conversion form).
Getting your data
- ATOA: Australia Telescope Online Archive.
- The ATCA Users Guide should be the first guide you check for answers. It is available as a single HTML page, multiple HTML pages, and a PDF. Last updated on 5 March 2018
- Read about the CABB correlator.
- Read about the Legacy Projects.
- Read about the Water Vapor Radiometers available on all antennas.
- Read about the design and construction of the ATCA in the JEEEA Special Issue ("green book").
Original: Nuria McKay (15-May-1995)
Modified: Jamie Stevens (26-Apr-2016)